About NCCU Academics Admissions Athletics Campus Life Giving Research

NCCU BS Degree in Criminal Justice at Wake Technical Community College

Will my degree be from Wake Technical Community College or NCCU?
Upon completion of the required courses and credit hours, you will receive a Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice from North Carolina Central University.

At which Wake Tech campus is the program offered?
The program is offered at the Wake Tech Public Safety Education Campus (PSEC) at 321 Chapanoke Road in Raleigh. 

Is the program at Wake Tech a part time program?
The BS Degree program is designed as a full time program and courses are offered in a specific rotation. However, you may enroll and take fewer than full time hours but the time to degree completion is extended. 

Is there mid-year enrollment in the program?
Yes.  You may enroll in Fall or Spring Semester but the Curriculum Guide is based on Fall semester enrollment. 

Is an Associate’s Degree required to enter the program?
The BS Degree program is designed for students who have completed the AAS Degree in Criminal Justice Technology but students with the AA or AS degree can still complete the program in the 2 years.  With an AA or AS degree, students move directly into the upper level Criminal Justice courses. Students with the AAS Degree must complete the required GEC curriculum at NCCU as well as the upper level Criminal Justice courses.

How many hours will I take each semester?
As a full time student, you will be registered for between 13 and 17 hours each semester.  

Are the courses full semester or mini-sessions?
As a student in the Wake Tech BS Degree Program, you will take a blend of online and site-based courses taught at the Wake Tech PSEC. The courses taught at Wake Tech PSEC are 8-week mini sessions and the online courses are full sixteen-week semester courses.  

Will I have to attend classes in Durham on the main campus?
You will not attend classes on the main campus; all courses are taught at the Wake Tech PSEC or online.  If for some reason, you choose to take courses on the main campus you will be required to complete community service hours and pay the non-distance education tuition and fee rates.

Are all Criminal Justice concentrations available to students in this program?
The following concentration courses are taught online and are available to students in the Wake Tech BS Degree Program:  law enforcement, corrections and homeland security. Juvenile Justice is not online but the courses are taught in the Wake Tech BS Degree Program on Saturday, beginning in the Fall semester of the second year.  

How long is the program?
A student who has an earned A.A.S. in Criminal Justice Technology, an A.A. or A.S. degree who enrolls as a full time student will complete the B.S. Degree in Criminal Justice in nine mini sessions; this is the equivalent of 4 semesters and one summer session.  

What days will I attend classes?
Classes are offered on Thursday and Friday night from 6:00 - 10:00 PM, and Saturday morning from 9:30 AM – 1:00 PM.

Do I have to complete the community service required hours?
Community service hours are not required from distance education students unless you enroll in a course on the main campus.  A student enrolled in any course offered on the main campus is required to complete a pro rata amount of community service hours. 

Will I be required to complete the Criminal Justice internship?
All Criminal Justice majors are required to take the 3 credit hour CRJU 4000 Practicum course, which is the 80-hour internship.  A student who has been employed for at least one continuous year in a position in the criminal justice system (ex. police officer, corrections officer, court clerk, child advocacy) may be waived from the course. However, an additional 3 credit hour criminal justice course, or other approved course, must be taken in lieu of the Practicum. Students should discuss their work history with the advisor to determine if the student should seek a waiver of the Practicum. 

Will I be required to purchase insurance to complete the Practicum?
Yes.  All students completing the Criminal Justice Practicum are required to purchase liability insurance.  The Protocol for Student Internship Liability Insurancecan be viewed at this link. 

Are health immunization records required?
Distance education students are not required to submit the Immunization History record.  Each semester, you are required to contact the Student Health Office to confirm your enrollment as a distance education student only.  If you enroll in any course offered on the main campus, you may be required to submit the Immunization History form. 

How will I register classes?
Each semester, you are required to schedule an advisement appointment with your assigned advisor. During the appointment, in conjunction with your advisor, you will review your Curriculum Guide to determine what courses remain to be completed for the 120 hour BS Degree in Criminal Justice.  Your advisor may register you during the appointment and you will be provided with an Alternate PIN in the event adjustments need to be made to your schedule. 

Are the tuition and fees different in the distance education program?
Distance education students pay the university approved distance education tuition and fee rate.  This rate is generally less than the traditional tuition and fee schedule for full time students.  

Will I have an academic advisor?
All distance education students are assigned an academic advisor within the Department of Criminal Justice regardless of your classification.

How do I schedule an advisement appointment?
Each advisor will notify you of their preferred scheduling method; generally, continuing students you reach their advisor through the CAMPUS tracking service. 

How do I withdraw from a course?
So long as the withdrawal period has not elapsed, you may withdraw by completing the Course Withdrawal Form on the website. The form must be submitted to your advisor for signing AFTER you have confirmed the financial and academic consequences of withdrawal. The advisor will sign the form and forward it to the Office of the Registrar.  The Withdrawal Form can be located at this link. 

How do I withdraw from the university?
The Withdrawal Form can be located at this link. To view the university policy on withdrawal, visit this link. Withdrawal from the University.

NCCU complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in all programs and activities (including sexual harassment and sexual violence) in the University's educational programs and activities. For additional resources or to file a Title IX complaint, visit the NCCU's Title IX webpage.
© 2020 North Carolina Central University 1801 Fayetteville St., Durham, NC 27707