About NCCU Academics Admissions Athletics Campus Life Giving Research

BS Degree in Criminal Justice Online Program

Can I complete this degree fully online?
Yes. The BS Degree in Criminal Justice is a fully online program; students are not required to attend classes on the main campus or other school to complete the degree.

Are all Criminal Justice concentrations offered online?
No. The following concentrations are offered online:  law enforcement, corrections and homeland security. If you are interested in Juvenile Justice as a concentration, you will have to complete those courses on the main campus in the sixteen-week semester format.

Is an Associate’s Degree required to enter the online program?
No. A student admitted to the university as a degree seeking student can enter the online program. Students must declare themselves to be online students either at the time of application or by completing the electronic Declaration of Major, Change of Program Status Form.

Can I take classes on the main campus?
Yes. You may take courses on the main campus; however, if for some reason, you choose to take courses on the main campus you will be required to complete community service hours and pay the non-distance education tuition and fee rates for the course taken on campus.

Can I take classes in the Wake Tech BS Degree in Criminal Justice site based programs or Eagle Voyage BS Degree Program at Vance Granville Community College?
Sometimes. Due to limitations in space at the program sites and program design, registration for any course at these locations requires special approval. 

Will I have an academic advisor?
Yes. All online students are assigned an academic advisor within the department of Criminal Justice regardless of your student classification (freshman, sophomore, transfer etc.).

Do I have to complete the community service required hours?
No. Community service hours are not required from online students.  However, if you elect to enroll in any course offered on the main campus a pro rata number of community service hours must be completed. 

How will I register for classes?
Each semester, you are required to schedule an advisement appointment with your assigned advisor. During the appointment, in conjunction with your advisor, you will review your Curriculum Guide to determine what courses remain to be completed for the 120 hour BS Degree in Criminal Justice.  Your advisor may register you during the appointment and you will be provided with an Alternate PIN in the event adjustments need to be made to your schedule. 

Will I be required to complete a Criminal Justice internship?
All Criminal Justice majors are required to take the 3 credit hour CRJU 4000 Practicum course, which is the 80-hour internship.  A student who has been employed for at least one continuous year in a position in the criminal justice system (ex. police officer, corrections officer, court clerk, child advocacy) may be waived from the course. However, an additional 3 credit hour criminal justice course, or other approved course, must be taken in lieu of the Practicum. Students should discuss their work history with the advisor to determine if the student should seek a waiver of the Practicum. 

Will I be required to purchase insurance to complete the Practicum?
Yes. All students completing the Criminal Justice Practicum are required to purchase liability insurance.  The Protocol for Student Internship Liability Insurancecan be viewed at this link. 

Are health immunization records required?
No. Online students are not required to submit the Immunization History record.  However, each semester you are required to contact the Student Health office to confirm your enrollment as a distance education student.  If you enroll in any course offered on the main campus, you may be required to submit the Immunization History form. 

Are the courses offered as full semester or mini semesters?
All online courses are taught in the sixteen-week full semester format. 

Are the tuition and fees different in the online program?
Yes. Distance education students pay the distance education tuition and fee rate, which is established annually by the University. This rate is generally less than the traditional tuition and fee schedule for full time students who attend courses on the main campus.  

How do I schedule an advisement appointment?
Each advisor will notify you of their preferred scheduling method; generally, continuing students you can reach your advisor through the CAMPUS tracking service. 

How do I withdraw from a course?
So long as the withdrawal period has not elapsed, you may withdraw by completing the Course Withdrawal Form on the website. The form must be submitted to your advisor for signing AFTER you have confirmed the financial and academic consequences of withdrawal. The advisor will sign the form and forward it to the Office of the Registrar.  The Withdrawal Form can be located at this link. 

How do I withdraw from the university?
The Withdrawal Form can be located at this link. To view the university policy on withdrawal, visit this link. Withdrawal from the University.

NCCU complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in all programs and activities (including sexual harassment and sexual violence) in the University's educational programs and activities. For additional resources or to file a Title IX complaint, visit the NCCU's Title IX webpage.
© 2020 North Carolina Central University 1801 Fayetteville St., Durham, NC 27707